How to Register for the CTA Exam
Please refer to our online exams page for full information on the exams.
What you need to know before entering
- New students: You must be a registered CTA student at least four months before you can sit your first tax exam
- Current students: Your registration must be valid during the exams, otherwise you will have to re-register. You can view your student registration expiry date under My Account > My Membership in the Portal
- Forthcoming session: You can only enter for the forthcoming exam session
- Awaiting results: You cannot enter for exams if you are awaiting results from the previous session. You will be able to do so on results release date for that session
- Computer Based Exams: All three CBEs must be passed (or exemptions applied for as appropriate) before you can enter for your final tax exam (ie passed by the end of February for the May exams or the end of August for the November exams)
- Awareness and Application and Professional Skills: The Awareness exam must either be passed (or an exemption be applied for from it) before sitting the Application and Professional Skills exam, or sat in the same session
- Exemptions: You must apply for any exemptions before the closing date of your final tax exam(s)
- Payment and confirmation: You must pay the exam fee to complete your entry, except if you choose to have your employer invoiced. You will then be automatically sent an email confirmation. If you do not receive one, please contact us
We accept the following:
Alternatively you can also choose to have your employer invoiced for exam entry fees.
If you choose to have your employer invoiced, please ensure your employment details are up-to-date under My Account > My Profile in the Portal before entering, as this will enable us to provide the correct invoice details for any entries you make.
An invoice is usually issued within one month of entering. During peak periods this may take longer. If your employer has not yet received the invoice; this will not affect your exam entry.
Exam Session Opening and Closing Dates
|MAY||15 December||Last day of February|
|NOVEMBER||15 June||Last day of August|
Late exam entry: The CIOT will accept an application for late exam entry up to one month after exam entry closes on payment of an additional fee, currently £100.
Registering for the CTA Exam
When exam entry is open (see dates above) please log into your account and click My Account > Enter for the Exams.