You may be eligible to apply for exemptions from some of the CTA exams if you hold certain professional qualifications, as listed under Available Exemptions towards the bottom of this page.
You can only apply for exemptions using qualifications where you have become fully exam qualified, meaning you have completed all of the necessary examinations for the relevant qualification.
Unfortunately you will not be eligible for exemptions if you do not hold any of the qualifications listed.
What you need to know before applying
- Evidence of professional qualification: You will be asked to supply evidence (in a PDF format to upload) to support your application
- Acceptable forms of evidence include: Examination transcripts, membership certificates
- What evidence we can’t accept: Invoices, bank transfers, webpage screenshots, or email correspondence for the purpose of exemptions
- Payment and confirmation: You must pay the exemption fee to complete your application, except if you choose to have your employer invoiced. You will then be automatically sent an email confirmation. If you do not receive one, please contact us
- Approval: Your application will be reviewed within 10 working days after successful submission and you will receive confirmation by email once approved
- Exemption validity: Once your exemption is awarded, it will not expire
When you need to apply
- You must apply for an exemption before you register for your final tax exam
- If you’re applying for an exemption from the Awareness exam, you must do so before you can register to sit for the Application and Professional Skills exam
- If you are currently exempt from the old Application and Interaction exam, you would not be eligible to apply for an exemption from the Awareness exam
We accept the following:
Alternatively you can choose to have your employer invoiced for the exemption fee.
If you choose to have your employer invoiced, please ensure your employment details are up-to-date under My Profile in the Portal before applying, as this will enable us to provide the correct invoice details for any applications you make. An invoice is usually issued within one month of an exemption application.
How to apply
If you are eligible, log into your account and click on Apply for an Exemption.