Online exam rules
You must comply with the rules set out on this page, when sitting online ADIT exams.
Any violation of the rules will be reported to the ADIT Examination Committee, which may at its absolute discretion disqualify any candidate.
By choosing to sit online ADIT exams you agree to act with integrity, receive no external assistance and sit your exams in a room alone.
- You are not permitted to have any other exam candidate or any other individual, to type, contribute towards or complete answers on your behalf, or impersonate you for the purpose of gaining an unfair advantage in the exams.
- The CIOT reserves the right to take photos at intervals during your exam, and your webcam must be switched for the full duration of your exam. Your face must be visible on your webcam throughout your exam, with the exception of bathroom breaks if required. You must sit alone throughout your exam.
- The answers you submit must be your own work, and not the work of any other exam candidate or any other individual, either via collusion, impersonation or plagiarism.
- Taking photographs or screenshots, and retaining copies of your exam answers, is strictly prohibited. You cannot share your answers with other exam candidates or other individuals, or retain your answers for personal use, either during or after the exam.
- You are not permitted to copy, photograph or retain copies of the exam questions. You are strictly prohibited from distributing unauthorised copies of the exam questions.
- You must not behave in a manner that will distract your fellow candidates, before or during the exam. This includes sending messages, and any other form of communication or interaction which disrupts other candidates’ exams.
- The exams are closed-book, meaning you may only use the permitted books during the exam. You cannot refer to any books, study manuals, pre-prepared notes, online resources, or other unspecified materials.
- Software will be used on answers to investigate whether you have committed collusion, plagiarism or other forms of misconduct in the exams.
- It is your responsibility to be ready and start the exam on time. You will have a 15 minute window to "fetch" your question paper on the Exam4 software and start your exam. If you start later than this window without good reason, you may be disqualified.
- Each ADIT exam lasts for 3 hours and 15 minutes, beginning when you fetch your question paper in Exam4. You must not exceed your permitted exam time. If you do exceed your permitted time, you will be contacted and reported to the ADIT Examination Committee and you may face disqualification.
- There is no separate reading time, so you can start typing your answers as soon as the exam begins. However, we recommend that you set aside some time to thoroughly read each question and plan each of your answers.
- If you experience an emergency which causes disruption either immediately before or during your exam, you must email details of the disruption to the Education Team as soon as possible. This can include situations such as you, or a family member, suddenly becoming unwell.
- You will not be awarded extra time for taking breaks during your exam. This includes bathroom breaks.
- You may be required to supply more information to the CIOT, if you are suspected of misconduct.
Violation of exam rules
Software will be used to investigate incidents of misconduct, and our Examiners are extremely vigilant in spotting instances when a candidate has copied other people's work or tried to pass it off as their own. We will treat suspected misconduct reported by our examining teams, or any other individual, extremely seriously.
If you are judged to have engaged in any form of misconduct during your exam, you may face:
- Disqualification from all the exams you sat; and
- Suspension or termination of your ADIT student registration, and disqualification from sitting future ADIT or other CIOT exams.
If you have been judged to have committed any form of misconduct in a previous exam and are found to have engaged in misconduct for a second time, your ADIT student registration will be terminated and you will be unable to sit future ADIT or other CIOT exams.