Research and Development Tax Relief - HMRC One to Many letter
HMRC have recently launched a One to Many letter campaign relating to claims for Research & Development (R&D) Tax Relief. The letters have been sent to company directors whose companies have made R&D claims in the past. It is asking them to review their previous claims using a checklist to make sure that the information they have provided about their claim is complete and correct and, if there is an error, to make amendments as necessary. A copy of the letter is provided below.
- The letters were issued during the weeks commencing 23 January 2023 and 30 January 2023.
- Letters have been sent to 2,024 companies in two batches of 1,000 and 1,024.
- The intention of the letter is to raise taxpayers’ awareness of fraudulent R&D claims.
- It is encouraging recipients to check claims to ensure they are complete and correct.
- It provides further signposting to GOV.UK to amend claims if appropriate.
- The letter is additionally notifying recipients that HMRC may need to open enquiries and possibly reject claims if they are found to be incorrect.