Membership grades & fees
Annual Subscription fees are due by 31 January each year. Payment of the Annual Subscription fees can be made following the Annual Renewal notifications sent to members in late November. All non retired members are also required to submit an annual return by the same date.
Standard Membership Fees
|UK Associate Member||£372|
|Overseas* Associate Member||£343|
*Overseas is defined as not having a UK postcode.
CIOT members who are also ATT members pay a reduced ATT membership fee of £125. CIOT members can apply to become joint ATT members via the portal and pay an initial £65 joining fee + the annual joint membership fee of £125.
Reduced & Retired Membership Fees
On maternity/paternity leave
Studying full-time study
Not working due to illness
Earning under £15,000 per annum*
|Retired** without Literature||£13|
|Retired** with Literature||£74|
|Life Associate (without literature – one off payment)||£127|
* Earned income is defined as any income from current employment net of expenses, but without any deduction for taxation, excluding pensions or state benefits.
**Retired rates are applicable to fully retired members on 1st January of the subscription year.
Request to Change Category
If your circumstances have or are about to change (eg going on or returning from maternity, or retiring) and you wish to change membership category please email email@example.com with your member ID, category you wish to change to and reason why.
How to make payment
- Log in to your Portal and pay by credit/debit card.
- Pay by bank transfer ensuring your membership ID is in the transaction reference
- Call our automated telephone service on 0330 088 4675
- Set up an annual or monthly direct debit - please download and complete and this Direct Debit mandate and return to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Send a cheque with your membership ID written on the back to CIOT, 30 Monck Street, London SW1P 2AP.
When payment has been received in full you will receive an automated emailed receipt. We are unable to issue invoices prior to payment unless you are a company paying 5 or more memberships. To apply for company invoicing please send an email to email@example.com.
In order to sustain and develop the CIOT’s charitable purpose of promoting education in taxation, the Council has resolved to increase the annual membership fees as of 1 January 2021 by 1.8%. This increase will support the CIOT to deliver its many activities, both educational and charitable. This will also ensure that the services and benefits to CIOT members can be maintained, with new plans underway to:
- increase our digitalisation capabilities particularly online exam delivery and learning
- enhance online member services such as our technical support and member events
- increase public understanding of tax matters
- bring the voice of chartered tax advisers, and the benefit of their technical expertise, more effectively to policy makers and the public
- develop our ethical framework of professional standards
- promote and protect our CTA brand both in the UK and overseas
- support the learning and development of our committed staff
We are introducing new governance arrangements to ensure the CIOT better reflects its member, volunteer and student communities. Council is committed to equality, diversity and inclusion and has formed a joint Committee with the Association of Taxation Technicians (ATT). You can find more information about this Committee here.
Further information on managing your membership can be found on our Subscription FAQs page.