CIOT recognises that some candidates sit their examination in difficult circumstances and has a process in place which allows you to request special consideration if you feel that your performance in your examination/s was affected by serious personal circumstances (such as illness or close bereavement over or immediately preceding the examination period or if you experienced a particular problem on the day of your examination.)
Please refer to the policy below for more information:
1. If you decide to proceed with your examination/s even though you believe that your performance will be affected, you should notify the CIOT within two weeks after sitting the examination/s so that this may be noted for the review by the Examination Committee.
2. The report must be made in writing by you, with medical confirmation or other evidence if appropriate.
3. Where serious personal circumstances arise that affect all candidates at an examination centre, the Presiding Officer supervising the examination will be responsible for reporting the facts to the CIOT. Should you wish to report the matter as well you can of course do so.
4. All reports of serious personal circumstances will be considered by the Examination Committee, who may consult others as they see fit.
5. An awareness of your serious personal circumstances will not necessarily result in additional marks being awarded. The decision for the award of additional marks lies solely at the discretion of the Examination Committee.
6. No report of serious personal circumstances submitted after the publication of the results will be considered.
Withdrawing from the Written Examinations
You may wish to withdraw from the examination if you believe that your performance is likely to be seriously affected by your particular personal circumstances. Please click here for more information on withdrawing from the written examinations.
Computer Based Examinations (CBEs)
If any problems arise during the sitting of the CBEs you should notify the exam supervisor at your chosen test centre. You should then report the matter to the CIOT within two weeks of the date of your CBE.
Further information on rescheduling CBEs can be found here.