The CIOT recognises that some candidates may sit their online (May/November) exams in difficult circumstances. You can apply for special consideration if you feel that your performance was affected by serious personal circumstances (such as illness or close bereavement over or immediately preceding the exam period or if you experienced a particular problem on the day.)
In instances where an occurrence is known to have affected all candidates, an acknowledgement email will be sent. These events will automatically be reported to the Examination Committee.
How to apply*
You must apply within two weeks of sitting your exam. Applications must be emailed to education [at] ciot.org.uk (subject: CIOT%20Special%20Consideration) from your registered email address.
- In the subject line, state: ‘Special Consideration: XXXXX’ followed by your unique five digit candidate number
- Attach evidence e.g. recent, relevant medical documentation**
- Include your full name, name and dates of exams
- Explain in a maximum of 1000 words
- Under no circumstances will applications submitted after the publication of exam results be accepted or considered
* Applications based on issues that occurred but where no proven contact was made to the CIOT to resolve beforehand or at the time may be rejected. **Applications where supporting evidence is not provided will not be accepted.
What happens next
- You will receive an acknowledgement of your application within 14 days of submission. (This may be after the application deadline.)
- Acceptance of your application does not automatically mean a passing exam result will be awarded.
- All scripts are marked as normal and are identified by candidate number only. Our examiners are not informed of special consideration requests and have no prior knowledge of candidates circumstances.
- The Examination Committee will review accepted applications (identified by candidate number only), all decisions are discretionary and cannot be appealed.
- You will receive your exam results as normal on results day, you will not be informed of the outcome of the meeting or if consideration was applied to your result.
Your mark is final, however you may apply for a marks breakdown or recheck (this is not a remark) if eligible within 21 days of the publication of results.