Technical News


On 25 January HMRC announced that there would be no Self-Assessment late filing penalty for those who file online by 28 February 2021. It was clear that the easement would apply to forms SA100 (the tax return for individuals), and that those returns filed on paper in February will not benefit from the easement.

HMRC are updating the homepage of the Agent Services Account between 3 February and 5 February.

Further to the technical news item dated 19 January, HMRC have today (25 January) announced that they will not be issuing penalties if the return is filed online on or before 28 February 2021. Whilst this announcement is much later than we had hoped, we welcomed it in a joint press release issued by the CIOT and ATT. This easement applies only to the initial £100 late filing penalty.

HMRC’s Wealthy External Forum have issued a briefing to forum members regarding a letter to be sent to corporates who appear to have purchased a dwelling/residential property worth £500,000 or more from 1 April 2020 and have not filed an ATED return. It is proposed that the letter will be sent to corporates in October 2020. However, HMRC note the dates that letters are to be issued may be subject to change.

HMRC has provided us with updates in relation to its digital services.

This update provides information about the letters and the certificate of tax position, together with some guidance to help members decide the most appropriate way to respond if a client receives one of the letters from HMRC.

On Monday the CIOT and other professional bodies received a further letter from HMRC, in response to follow-up representations from the professional bodies in the light of the lockdown announced at the beginning of January.

This guidance has been produced by the CIOT for use by our members and students to help them understand when they might be classified as an intermediary under the UK’s regulations which bring into effect parts of DAC6 due to them being registered as a member or student with the CIOT and when, as a possible consequence of that, they might be required to make a disclosure report to HMRC. 

Form SA700 is used to file an income tax return for a non-resident company. 2019/20 is the last tax year in which non-resident landlord (NRL) companies with a property business in the UK need to file a form SA700 under the income tax regime. (As of 6 April 2020, NRL companies with a UK property business are subject to UK corporation tax and will file form CT600 annually.) The SA700 is a paper form. It cannot be completed online.

The CIOT has received the following update from HMRC on transit issues.