Are you interested in contributing to the CIOT's responses to consultations?
The CIOT aims to include input from its members in its responses to consultations, including those issued by HMRC, HM Treasury and the European Commission. As most of the preparation of responses is done by email or online survey many members can participate; practical experience is particularly helpful when we are preparing technical responses.
What do sub-committees do?
Each sub-committee considers and makes representations to Government on consultations, legislation (existing or proposed) or other material within their remit.
What do sub-committee members do?
- input to both public consultations and private submissions to influence tax changes
- draft technical representations for the CIOT Technical sub-committee to consider submitting
- volunteer to attend meetings on behalf of the CIOT
Benefits of Technical Sub-Committee Membership
- Opportunity to be at the forefront of the development of taxes in the UK
- Time spent on technical matters as part of Committee work may count towards the annual CIOT and ATT CPD non-reading requirements
- Career enhancement
- Attendance at sub-committee meetings
- Opportunity to get to know influential members of the tax profession and HMRC
- Opportunity to help influence changes to tax legislation through contribution to CIOT submissions
- Access to restricted Technical intranet area of CIOT website
- Sight of papers relating to confidential meetings on tax matters, before they reach the public domain
- Opportunity to participate in open discussions of relevant issues
- Expenses incurred in volunteering are fully reimbursed. CIOT expenses claim form.
How to get involved
Any CTA wishing to become involved in the CIOT's technical work should:
- see the sub-committee pack for more information
- follow the link below to the sub-committee remit which most closely reflects their experience
- complete the online form and attach a short CV or biography
Most of our technical work requires a detailed understanding of the relevant taxes, so may not be suitable for those early in their tax careers.
Sub-committee remits and online application forms:
Capital Gains Tax & Investment Income Sub-Committee
Corporate Tax Sub-Committee
Employment Taxes Sub-Committee
EU & HR Sub-Committee
Indirect Taxes Sub-Committee
International Tax Sub-Committee
Management of Taxes Sub-Committee
Owner Managed Business Sub-Committee
Property Taxes Sub-Committee
Scottish Technical Sub-Committee
Succession Taxes Sub-Committee
Welsh Technical sub-committee
Working Together Sub-Committee
If you would like to discuss any aspects of becoming a sub-committee member, contact the Technical Team at technical [at] tax.org.uk or via contact us and a Technical Officer will call you back.