This section contains reports and notifications relating to tax technical work carried out by the CIOT.
Many of these articles are also published in the CIOT monthly magazine 'Tax Adviser'.
Items older than a year are available in Technical Newsdesk Archive
- Revenue & Customs Brief Share Loss Relief for joint share subscriptions 18 October 2010
- HMRC Autumn online upgrade HMRC have informed us that they have successfully released their October online filing upgrade. 11 October 2010
- HMRC & Companies House joint filing of accounts and CT HMRC and Companies House have launched their joint filing platform. Initially it will be available to those using HMRC’s free Corporation Tax (CT) package to produce statutory accounts, corporation tax computations and the CT600 CT return. The principle is that companies or their agents using the software will be able to enter their accounts data once, before submitting separate accounts to HMRC and Companies House. 11 October 2010
- Minutes of HMRC SDLT meeting 1 July 2010 - FA 2003 section 75A and draft guidance The minutes are available here to download in Adobe pdf format. 7 October 2010
- PAYE: HMRC Update 29 HMRC have provided a further update for employers and their agents. The update (reproduced below) provides information on filing P11D’s (filing ‘in parts’ is not possible), the use of temporary reference numbers (only NINO’s should be used on official communications), the 1 October 2010 NMW rate change and employer penalties for late returns (penalties for outstanding 2009-10 P35/P14’s have begun to be issued). 4 October 2010
- Contacting HMRC Tax Credit Helpline and Enquiry Centres HMRC are aware that various agents and taxpayers have been having trouble in getting through to the Tax Credit Helpline and Enquiry Centres and have recommended that calls to them are made later in the day or towards the end of the week when call volumes are generally lower. 30 September 2010
- CT Online iXBRL Exhibition, Glasgow: 15 Sept 2010 This is a further reminder of HMRC's forthcoming iXBRL solutions event at Hampden Park, Glasgow on 15 September 2010 from 09.30 to 17.00. Tax advisers within reach of Glasgow who need to identify software or other solutions for iXBRL reporting for Corporation Tax returns (including accounts and computations) may wish to attend this event. 11 September 2010
- HMRC underpayments and overpayments HMRC have provided some guidance for taxpayers in respect of PAYE overypayment and underpayment statements. 10 September 2010
- Tax advisers criticise ‘short-sighted’ cuts in tax paperwork 6 September 2010
- HMRC cuts - Withdrawal of agent copies of mail We have just received notification from HMRC that as part of the drive to save costs they plan to stop issuing copies to agents of some mail which is sent to clients. While supportive of the need to make cuts in Government spending, the CIOT is extremely concerned that this measure will result in far more additional work for HMRC, taxpayers and their agents and potentially lead to additional costs in excess of the amounts saved. 6 September 2010
- HMRC update on EoY Reconciliation, Single Employer Office, Employer CD-ROM and filing P46’s online HMRC have recently provided further updates for employers. The updates include information on work HMRC is doing on End of Year PAYE Reconciliations for 2008-09 & 2009-10, the creation of a single centralised office to deal with Employers, the need to install a further update for users of the Employer CD-ROM and the process for submitting form P46 online. 6 September 2010
- Pensions tax relief proposals get qualified welcome from CIOT 2 September 2010
- Commission on Scottish Devolution (Calman Commission) – Online survey By Scotland Branch – September 2010.
The CIOT Scotland Branch and Technical Team are running a short survey requesting comments from members on the implementation of the proposals of the Calman Commission which were in the Queen's Speech. 2 September 2010
- CAAT update – agent authorisation HMRC are currently working with the professional bodies with a view to improving the process for agent authorisation. Unfortunately, the Central Agent Authorisation Team (CAAT) has been allocated a significant amount of additional work over the coming weeks, which will, in the short term, lead to some delays in processing paper forms 64-8 and applications by agents to be recognised as an agent by HMRC. 2 September 2010
- Valuation of goodwill in respect of trade related properties - minutes of meeting with HMRC on 23 March 2010 The minutes of a meeting with HMRC and the CIOT, attended also by representatives of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, held on 23 March 2010, are available to download on this page in Adobe (pdf) format. 25 August 2010
- Agent update 19 Agent update 19, July-August 2010, has been published.
This is available to download here in PDF format. 24 August 2010
- HMRC update on Employer CD-ROM due September 2010 HMRC have published Weekly Update 22. As with past updates, this gives informal highlights of HMRC's working in partnership with the professional bodies for passing on to members of those bodies. The latest document has information on the Employer CD-ROM September 2010 update. HMRC are looking for people to test the software: anyone interested please contact HMRC direct on the e-mail address they give below. 20 August 2010
- HMRC update on penalties and improving PAYE HMRC have published Weekly Update 21. As with past updates, this gives informal highlights of HMRC's working in partnership with the professional bodies for passing on to members of those bodies. The latest update gives information on improving the operation of PAYE and a further update on penalties. 20 August 2010
- HMRC encourage agents to file online HMRC have asked us to pass on to members some information about a further drive to increase the proportion of agents who file online, as part of their endeavour to reduce costs within HMRC. Last year, 75% of SA returns were filed online, and the majority of agents filed their clients’ returns online. The CIOT has long supported HMRC’s drive towards online filing where there has been a business case, and works hard to identify problems and try to sort these out with HMRC. 19 August 2010
- HMRC’s new XBRL guidance for UK business HMRC have published some new guidance on XBRL on their website. The guidance provides an introduction for UK businesses to eXtensible Business Reporting Language (XBRL) and Inline XBRL (iXBRL) for Corporation Tax, and their implementation. 17 August 2010